|This article / section is currently under construction.
There is still information to be added and editors are contributing to complete it anytime soon. You can help the McLeodGaming Wiki by filling in the blanks.
- This article is about Sandbag's appearance in Super Smash Flash 2. For the character in other contexts, see Sandbag.
| Sandbag |
in Super Smash Flash 2
|Universe||Super Smash Bros.|
|Unlock criteria||Clear Classic mode on normal difficulty or higher, without using continues, as Random, then defeat him in a 1-stock match on Waiting Room.|
|Final Smash||Unnamed Final Smash|
Sandbag is a playable newcomer unlockable character in Super Smash Flash 2. He was first revealed in SSF2 Dev Blog #5 on April 1, 2016, and initially thought to be an April Fool's joke. However, a special blog, SSF2 Dev Blog #5.1, was released two days later confirming Sandbag's inclusion as the game's "joke" character. Sandbag was a pet project by SSF2 developer James Hadden and its development was completed in a week's time thanks to the character using only three sprites in all of his animations which were then rotated, stretched, and distorted in Flash to create over 70 unique animations.
Sandbag is a good fighter but lacks good movement and recovery options. He has a range of combo starters, up throw, up tilt, down tilt and down throws, and finishers in forward smash, down aerial, forward throw, standard attack, dash attack, forward aerial, and Bob-omb Toss. Recovery-wise, Sandbag has a theoretical infinite recovery in his up special, but it will kill at higher percentages. Sandgrab and Sanddash lets him get a decent horizontal movement and a medium vertical movement, respectively. His walk/dash is unorthodox and ordinarily among the slowest in the game but can be more than doubled using his crouch to interrupt his hopping animation. This technique is called soaping.
While Bob-omb Toss can get Sandbag back on stage usually, it has many disadvantages, such as killing Sandbag at high percents and racking up damage quickly due to the necessary repeated use to recover at low percents while off-stage.
His rank on the current tier list has been heavily debated due to his unorthodox nature, and will most likely be more heavily scrutinised.
|Standard attack||Headbutts opponent. Great knockback.||9%|
|Down tilt||Rolls across the ground.||10%|
|Down smash||Does a ground-pound. 2 hits.||10%|
|Forward tilt||Leaps himself forward and afterwards, performs a headbutt.||13%|
|Forward smash||Low-leaps himself forward.||15%|
|Up tilt||Headbutts upwards. Can string into itself, neutral aerial and/or back aerial.||7%|
|Up smash||Jumps high, while contortioning himself. 2 hits||9%|
|Dash attack||Rolls forward. Has high ending lag.||14%|
|Neutral aerial||Spins vertically in the air, very quick and low landing lag. Can string into itself.||11%|
|Forward aerial||Does a kick forwards. Great range and knockback.||11%|
|Back aerial||Does a kick backwards. Great range, low knockback. Can string into itself.||9%|
|Up aerial||Swings head upwards.||9%|
|Down aerial||Curls up, then kicks downwards. Strongest meteor smash in the game.||19%|
|Grab||Grabs opponent with his head.||N/A|
|Forward throw||Falls flat on the ground, damaging opponents. The strongest forward throw in the game.||13%|
|Back throw||Spins the opponent many times, then throw it backwards.||9%|
|Up throw||Headbutts opponent upwards.||11%|
|Down throw||Ground pounds the opponent twice.||4%|
|Floor attack||Jumps up and hits both ways.||6%|
|Standard special move||Capsule Spawn||Picks a capsule from inside himself that can contain any items currently active in the Item switch.||9%|
|Side special move||Sandgrab||Leaps himself forward, then grabs and throws opponents in his path with his head.||6%|
|Up special move||Bob-omb Toss||Throws a Bob-omb in the air, exploding himself, dealing great damage and upwards knockback, on both himself and opponents. If it hits the opponent before it hits Sandbag, does increased damage and much more knockback.||18%|
|Down special move||Sanddash||A controllable burst of momentum in any direction that can be cancelled into any other attack, including itself when used on the ground.||N/A|
|Final Smash||Revenge||Carries opponent to Home-Run Contest Arena, then smashes them with a Home-Run Bat.||Unknown.|
|On-screen appearance||A part of the Home-Run Contest roadway will briefly appear. Sandbag comes flying and lands on it, then gets up as the road disappears.|
|Taunts||Standard||Falls flat on the ground, then goes back up. Very similar to Luigi's side taunt.|
|Side||Very quickly squishes himself. Can be used as endlag (or faster startup) for his dash.|
|Down||Spin once vertically while a random comical sound effect, such as those emitted by Mr. Saturn or when a Party Ball opens, plays.|
|Victory theme||Based on the menu theme from Super Smash Bros. Melee.|
|Victory pose||Tilts to the side and winks at the camera.|
In competitive play
Tier placement history
|This article / section may require some images.
Whether it is a new image or simply a higher quality update, upload the new file and add it into the article.
- Sandbag, Bandana Dee, Chibi-Robo, Mega Man, PAC-MAN and Bomberman are currently the only true "silent characters" in the game.
- Sandbag's reveal trailer highlighted the revamped item sprites that would later be shown in Dev Blog #7.
- Sandbag can not grab the ledge and can only move in short hops instead of full sprint. He is the only character with these traits.
- While sandbag just moves using short hops, you can quickly stop at the end of a hop(centering the joystick/letting go of the arrow key) then dash again to move much faster than normal
- Sandbag has hitbox data in 0.9b, despite not being playable in that version.
- Sandbag, along with Bandana Dee, Naruto, Sora, Lloyd and Jigglypuff is one of the characters that do not clap to the winner in the results screen. In his case, He is winking with a bandage on his right side.
- In v0.9b, a glitch in the early Online mode made it possible for Sandbag to win against a player if they self-destructed. Because Sandbag was not playable at the time, at the results screen, the announcer and victory fanfare remained silent, and Sandbag himself stood still.
- If Sandbag is holding a battering item and presses the attack button while moving, he will quickly spin the item instead of whacking regularly.