The Mega Buster, known in Japan as Rock Buster (ロックバスター), is Mega Man's standard special move in Super Smash Flash 2. Tapping the special move button will fire a small, slow plasma bullet in a straight trajectory forward, dealing minimal damage and little to no knockback. Up to three can be fired at once, and they can be fired while walking and jumping. Holding the special move key will charge energy for a bigger and more powerful shot. The player can move and jump while charging, but they cannot grab the ledge and will lose the charge upon flinching. There are four stages of charge depending on how long the key is held down for:
- Level 1 (uncharged) deals 1% to the opponent.
- Level 2 deals 12% to the opponent.
- Level 3 deals 15% to the opponent.
- Level 4 (fully charged) deals 18% to the opponent and causes slight recoil on Mega Man.
The Mega Buster has been Mega Man's default weapon in nearly every game he appears in, ever since the first game in the Mega Man series. The standard energy bullets, known as "Solar Bullets", are weak but can be rapid-fired with up to three appearing on-screen at a time. It wasn't until Mega Man 4 that Mega Man could charge his Mega Buster for a more powerful "Charge Shot", which could be done by holding the same button used to fire. Mega Man could run, jump, and climb ladders while charging, but in certain games, getting hit while charging will lose the charge. Overall, the Mega Buster functions nearly identically to how it does in SSF2, only in this game shots cannot go through walls and Charge Shots pass through opponents even if they don't defeat them.
- Originally, the Mega Buster allowed only one jump, but after v0.6 of the SSF2 Demo was released, Mega Man could jump twice before being required to return to the ground. However, as of Beta it once again only allows one jump.
- Earlier versions allowed Mega Man to crouch while charging Mega Buster, but this has been removed as of v0.9a.
- Prior to Beta, the move was one of five special weapons that could be changed into Mega Man's standard special move with the Weapon Change. However, Weapon Change has since been replaced with Water Wave, thus making this move his only standard special move.
- In the earlier versions, when Kirby copied Mega Man's ability, he could only fire uncharged shots, but now he can charge them up.
|Standard special move||Mega Buster|
|Side special move||Crash Bomb|
|Up special move||Beat Call|
|Down special move||Water Wave|