In Super Smash Flash 2, ledge options are different methods that characters can use when hanging on a ledge. These techniques are absent from the first Super Smash Flash as ledges did not exist in the game and as such, could not be grabbed.
Once the invincibility frames gained from grabbing a ledge expire, it is usually prudent to get up off the edge and return to the stage. Ledge options makes players think on their toes on what's the best course of action to take. This can be done in a variety of ways (see below).
The different types of ledge recoveries
- Climb: By pushing towards the ledge, a character will simply climb up onto the stage with no flair.
- Attack: By pressing the attack button, a character will climb up onto the stage while attacking. This is intended to protect against enemies who are edge-guarding (if applicable).
- Roll: By pressing the shield button, a character will climb up and roll forward a short distance, typically enough to reach the other side of an attacker.
- Jump: By pressing a jump button or pushing the up or jump control, a character will leap upwards and slightly forward. However, this move does not give a character invincibility frames.
- Let go (away): By pushing away from the ledge, a character will let go of the edge and fall in the direction of the key pressed. This may seem counterproductive at first, but it is useful if a character wishes to double jump and then air dodge, which is a useful alternative to jumping in a few cases. Also, depending on the character, double-jumping and using an aerial attack can be faster than using the recovery attack.
- Let go (down): By pressing the down button, a character will let go and fall downward and make the character fast-fall. This could be used for stalling because players can just fast fall from the ledge and then use their recovery to get back.
Ledge recovery attack
Ledge recovery attacks moves that characters can use when hanging from a ledge. Every character possesses a ledge recovery attack, which often grants invincibility frames. Ledge attacks can be used to clear the ledge of edgeguarders, and assure a safe recovery.
List of ledge recovery attacks
|Bandana Dee||Stabs forward with his spear.||6%|
|Black Mage||Pokes his staff in front of himself.||8%|
|Bomberman||Climbs up, then kicks forward while sitting.||6%|
|Bowser||Sweeps in front of him with his claw.||8%|
|Captain Falcon||Flips onto the ledge while doing a fastkick.||8%|
|Chibi-Robo||Gets up and hits his opponent with his plug.||7%|
|Donkey Kong||Jumps straight forward on the stage, back-first.||8%|
|Falco||Climbs up, then does a drop kick with both feet.||8%|
|Fox||Climbs up halfway and does a cartwheel kick with both feet.||8%|
|Goku||Climbs up, then does a double-axe handle punch in an arc.||8%|
|Ichigo||Rolls up and does a quick slash.||8%|
|Isaac||Rolls up on stage and swipes with his hand.||8%|
|Jigglypuff||Climbs up, then punches forward.||6%|
|Kirby||Rolls up, then brings his foot down from an upside down position.||6%|
|Link||Does an overhead slash with the Master Sword.||8%|
|Lloyd||Rolls up, then swings a sword overhead.||10%|
|Luffy||Climbs up, then low-kicks in a circle.||8%|
|Luigi||Climbs up in a cartwheel and kicks with both legs.||5%|
|Mario||Jumps up and kicks with one foot.||5%|
|Marth||Flips onto ledge with a downward diagonal slash from left to right.||4%|
|Mega Man||Climbs up, then swings his foot in front of him.||10%|
|Meta Knight||Climbs up, then does a quick slash.||8%|
|Mr. Game & Watch||Climbs up, then strikes with a bell.||5%|
|Naruto||Climbs up, then does a spinning backward hook kick.||7%|
|Ness||Does a kick after climbing up.||8%|
|PAC-MAN||Sweeps in front of him with his foot.||7%|
|Peach||Does a jump forward hip first.||6%|
|Pikachu||Climbs up, then does a somersault forwards.||8%|
|Pit||Climbs up, then does a low kick forwards.||7%|
|Samus||Rolls up in Morph Ball form, then swings her arm cannon downwards.||7%|
|Sheik||Does a sweep kick with one leg.||6%|
|Sonic||Quickly spins onto the stage and then retreats.||7%|
|Sora||Climbs up, then thrusts his keyblade forward.||4%|
|Tails||Climbs up, then does a low kick forwards.||5%|
|Wario||Climbs up, then swipes his hand in front of him.||6%|
|Yoshi||Sweeps his tail in front of himself.||6%|
|Zelda||After climbing, kneels on the ground, then sticks her leg out in front of herself.||8%|
|Zero Suit Samus||Gets up and hits her opponent with her pistol.||7%|
- Prior to Beta, certain characters would be able to perform a slower, often stronger ledge attack after exceeding 100% damage, much like in official Super Smash Bros. games. For unknown reasons, this feature was removed, much like it was in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U.
- Sandbag is the only character in SSF2 who cannot grab the ledge at all, due to lacking arms or hands.