- This article is about Goku's appearance in Super Smash Flash 2. For the character in other contexts, see Son Goku.
in Super Smash Flash 2
|Final Smash||Super Saiyan Goku|
Goku is a playable newcomer character in Super Smash Flash 2. He first appeared in the trailer turning into his Super Saiyan form releasing a Super Kamehameha at the others. Despite the anticipated confirmation, he was not playable until his addition in the v0.7 of the Super Smash Flash 2 Demo.
Goku is currently ranked 6th on the current tier list; a big leap from his 12th place position last demo. Goku has received more KO power in his attacks and more priority in them as well. Goku has a solid aerial game, amazing combo potential, a good recovery and kill moves in his forward smash, forward tilt, back aerial, back and forward throw when used near the ledge and the Kamehameha (which is a OHKO when used up close to the opponent). Goku has the ability to float which gives him a good horizontal recovery and the ability to auto float-cancel which aids in his aerial game on stage. He has a projectile in Ki blasts which he can use to hinder his opponents' approach or zone with them. Gokus' down special Kaiō-ken, when activated, increases his speed, power and the hitstun of his attacks. His down aerial becomes a meteor smash and his forward aerial no longer needs to be sweet spotted to meteor smash. His time Kaiō-ken will extend if continues to hit his opponent. Due to this Goku can combo and zero-to-death the entire roster. Goku can use Kaiō-ken to slow his descent in the air and can use the Kamehameha to help him with horizontal recovery if he no longer float.
However, Goku has problems with range in most his attacks leaving him vulnerable to characters with disjointed hitboxes (ex. Meta Knight and Sora). Goku is also tall and this makes him susceptible to combos, chain grabs, and zero-to-deaths. While Kaiō-ken has its benefits; it also has its flaws in that it damages Goku every second that its activated and the time will be extended as long as he attacks his opponent or his opponent attacks him, which makes using Kaiō-ken very risky and situational. Gokus' projectile is weak, can be out-prioritized, reflected and can be avoided by characters who are small in size. Gokus' mains of vertical recovery Instant Transmission can be easily edge hogged due to it not having an hitbox at the end of the move.
However, Gokus' pros overcome his flaws, so therefore, he is at a very high rank on the tier list. However, due to his weaknesses as seen above, he is not higher on the tier list.
Goku is a character focused more on power than on speed, but relies on both. His combo is only two hits consisting of an energy pulse and a punch. His up tilt is a faster and makes him move forward a bit while using it. His up smash has more vertical range and less horizontal range due to the added jump. His new forward smash is a single powerful punch. His backward throw is now faster along with his up throw. His neutral aerial is a single spin kick. His Forward Aerial requires a sweet-spot in order to Meteor Smash. His Ki Blasts are no longer effective in the use of spamming due to high amounts of start-up lag. His down Special move, Kaio-ken, is also harder to use since he can only use the Kaio-ken when his energy makes contact with an opponent. After that, Goku must remain attacking in order to stay in that state. Goku also starts automatically receiving damage from Kaio-Ken. However, it is possible he was nerfed to reduce unfair advantages that occurred while playing with Goku including his Ki-Blast camping.
- Standard attack 1: Energy pulse with hand. 3%
- Standard attack 2: Punches with other hand. 3%
- Down tilt: Punches while crouching. 7%
- Down smash: Uses "Kiai" (気合い). Goku thrusts his hands out from either side, emitting a force that deals severe damage. 10% uncharged, 14% fully charged.
- Side tilt: Kicks out in front of him. 13%
- Forward smash: Powerfully punches forward. 15% uncharged, 21% fully charged.
- Up tilt: Punches diagonally upwards out in front of him. 6%
- Up smash: Quickly flings up his fist. 13% uncharged, 19% fully charged.
- Dash attack: Elbow strike. The move is stronger when you're closer to the opponent. 8% (sour-spotted at the elbow only). 10% when sweet-spotted (whole hit connects on the opponent).
- Neutral aerial: Spin kick. 11%
- Forward aerial: Hammer fist. Strong Meteor Smash when sweet-spotted at the fist. 11%
- Back aerial: Back spinning kick. Slow and weak and rather easy to punish. 12%
- Up aerial: Flip Kick. Good juggler, and Goku's fastest aerial. 10%
- Down aerial: Uses "Feet Kamehameha" (足かめはめ波, Ashi Kamehameha). This is a Stall-Then-Fall. Goku shoots diagonally downwards hands first like a missile. Anyone who touches him will be sent diagonally up. The move does two hits. The second hit is stronger than the first. However, Goku must be careful about using this move off-stage, due to his limited vertical recovery. 8% first hit, 3% second hit, 11% if both hits connect.
- Grab: Reaches with his hand out to grab.
- Pummel: Punches opponent. 1% per hit.
- Forward throw: Slams energy into the opponent forward with both hands. 12%
- Back throw: Uses "Doragon wa nage" (ドラゴンは投げ, "Dragon Toss", Viz Serialzation: "Dragon Throw"). Spins the opponent around several times before throwing the opponent backwards. Very fast and powerful throw. 14%
- Up throw: Punches the opponent upwards, very similar to his Up Smash in appearance. 9%
- Down throw: Uses "Taiyō-ken" (太陽拳, "Fist of the Sun", Viz Serialization: "Solar Flare"). Goku cojures a flash of light that traps opponents with stong hitstun, can chain throw. 5%
- Ledge attack: Hammer fist. 10%
- 100% ledge attack: None for now.
- Wakeup attack: Jumps up feet first, attacking both sides for 10%
|Standard Special Move||Kamehameha|
|Side Special Move|| Ki Blasts|
|Up Special Move||Instant Transmission|
|Down Special Move||Kaiō-ken|
|Final Smash||Super Saiyan Goku|
- Entrance: Jumps off the Kintoun (筋斗雲, "Plot Box Cloud", Viz serialization: "Flying Nimbus") and lands on the stage releasing energy around him.
- Standard: Happily raises up two fingers to show the sign of peace and laughs.
- Side: Thrusts his head forward, yelling loudly, commonly referred to as the Big Head Yell in the anime and manga series.
- Down: Powers up, similar to the Kaiō-Ken (except with blue energy around him instead of red).
- Special abilities: Can float in midair by holding the jump key, only for a few seconds, but Super Saiyan Goku can float for as much time as desired.
- Fanfare: Eyecatcher Music from the Dragon Ball Z original soundtrack.
- Wins: Jumps up happily and nearly falls but is saved by his Kintoun. Goku lays down and laughs happily on his Kintoun.
- Loses: Claps to the winner with his bangs covering his face.
Role in The Flash Of Shadows