A chain grab (sometimes called chain throw) refers to a series of grabs and throws that the victim cannot break away from, this is the true definition of a chain grab because after the throw the opponent is in range of being grabbed again and again. A chain throw is when a player throws the opponent a specific direction (most commonly down or up), chases the enemy's directional influence, and grabs the opponent while he/she is still in mid-air and before he/she can tech. Generally, heavier or larger characters tend to be more vulnerable to chain grabs than lighter or smaller characters. Going along with this, Samus is more susceptible to horizontal chain grabs then to vertical ones due to her heavy weight. While Fox is more susceptible to vertical chain grabs then to horizontal ones due to his high accelerated falling speed.
Chain grabs in SSF2 are much easier to escape from than in the main games. It appears the physics of SSF2 along with not using 3D models helps in this. For example, Pikachu can down throw chain grab Fox to death percentage just like in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. However, Fox is able to D.I. after the throw in SSF2 while he cannot escape from the chain grab, unless the player messes up, in Brawl.
Characters who can chain grab
- Sora is able to chain grab high and fast fallers with down throw.
- Goku can chain grab big characters/fast fallers with his up throw at very low percentages, and can chain grab any character at low percentages with back throw if frame perfect.
- Captain Falcon can chain grab above average fallers to fast fallers with his up/down throw until at high percentages.
- Mario can chain grab fast fallers and high fallers with up throw and down throw.
- Sonic can chain grab with his up throw.
- Ichigo can tech chase chain grab with his down throw. Some characters will bounce off the ground and allow a regrab.
- Sheik can chain grab with her up throw on high and fast fallers at low to medium percentages.
- Ness can chain grab with his down throw.
- Donkey Kong can chain grab big characters and fast fallers with his down/up throw.
- Naruto can chain throw with his forward throw.
- Wario can chain grab heavy characters and fast fallers with his forward/up throw. Can also lead into a Wario Waft.
- Yoshi can chain grab with his down throw at low percentages.
- Bomberman can chain grab with his up and down throw at low percentages.
- Black Mage can chain throw with his down throw.
- Zelda can chain grab big characters and fast fallers with her up throw and down throw.
- Samus can chain grab big characters and fast fallers with her down throw.
- Marth can chain grab with his forward throw and back throw. He can chain grab Fox and Falcon with his up throw.
- Fox can chain grab himself with up throw.
- Luigi can chain grab fast to above average fallers with his down throw from 0% to around 40%.
- Marth was unable to chain grab Falcon with his up throw in Super Smash Bros. Melee due to his weight.